Tuesday, March 20, 2012

5 march 2012 - 18 march 2012 ((weekly wrapup)) x 2

I (mistakenly...) *thought* I had published a weekly update last Sunday. Imagine my surprise when I came to update for this week and... I hadn't.

So this "weekly" wrapup will actually be twice as exciting!

Phonics - We've read through the first three beginner books of Progressive Phonics. I realized this week that we probably could have started with the intermediate books because Jenna is flying through them, but it'll be a good review at least.

Spelling - We finished step 1 and 2 of level 1. Jenna is pretty solid on most of the phonograms, just a little shaky on some of those with multiple sounds (Y is giving her trouble!)

Literature - We've read so much. Our long read-aloud was The Water Horse by Dick King-Smith, which we both enjoyed. We are going to watch the movie and use a venn diagram to compare the differences. This weekend we started reading My Father's Dragon and The Little Princess: Zoey's Story.

Math - Jenna finished up chapter three (addition) in Singapore 1A last week, and we've been doing supplemental worksheets to really solidify addition facts in her head. She's getting really quick with the mental math and I feel good about moving on soon.
Science - We learned about density this week, and you can read a little more about it here.

History - We started SOTW 1 and have gotten through the introduction and first part of chapter 1. Both of us are really enjoying it so far!

Geography - Nothing yet. We'll be starting this week.

Art - Ah, the best of intentions. Art did not get done this week because someone forgot to get the supplies we needed... (duck and cover).

Music - Jenna practices her violin for music. She really seems to "get" it, and loves playing an instrument!

Health - Another subject left undone. I'm not even really sure what to do with this. I feel like we do enough for health just through our conversations about health.

PE - bike riding and running made up the bulk of our physical education.

French - Jenna has been working on Hooked on French. She doesn't really like it much because it is extremely repetitive... the other French program I have is okay, but takes a lot of pre-planning which I don't have time for. I'm considering a switch to Spanish.

Logic - We've been working through Lollipop Logic. Jenna enjoys it and begs to do it everyday!

Handwriting - copywork, copywork, copywork. :)

World Cultures - nothing. nada. rien. I needed more time to prepare for this subject!

Keyboarding - Dance Mat Typing. It's fun for Jenna, easy for Mommy... what more could you ask for?

Poetry - I picked up The Random House Book of Poetry for Children from the library and we've been reading a page or two of poems Tuesday and Thursday.

Journaling - Jenna has responded to two journal prompts: Draw a picture of you doing your favorite thing (she chose dancing) and Trace and decorate a picture of your hand (she turned it into a turkey).

Of course this is just a really quick review of what we've done, there are little things I'm sure I'm missing. It sure seems like a lot, but Jenna seems to be thriving on school every day. Today I thought we'd take a day off, and after dinner she was begging for school!

No comments:

Post a Comment